Pages

Sunday 23 July 2017

Lolita 52: Parasols: Vital or frivolous?

Normally I try to be fairly neutral, especially in regards to topics where I’m not really engaged, but I have to say I come down on the frivolous side for this one. Parasols are gorgeous, and perhaps in some climates are incredibly helpful at coping with the weather. But by and large my opinion is that in lolita, a parasol is an optional accessory item and not a vital item by any stretch of the imagination.

The only reason I have photos of myself in lolita with parasols is because James and I own some as part of our overall model wardrobe. They’re not exclusively mine, nor were they purchased exclusively for us in lolita. And I only ever do use them for photoshoots anyway.

Speaking of parasols and photoshoots, here's a throwback to a shoot with my lovely James aka The Enthusiast

My neutral side does want to point out, however, that they’re not really frivolous, no more than anything else in this fashion. They can be cute or elegant, and are always lovely so if you want to carry a parasol you carry a parasol and you’ll look great while doing it! It’s just an aspect of lolita fashion that I don’t feel much need for and probably won’t explore myself, unless I suddenly start to wear lolita a whole lot more often.

4 comments:

  1. As much as I agree that parasols aren't necessary, I wouldn't part with mine. If you can find one that's both waterproof and has UV protection, and so could do double duty, that's the most practical you'll ever find them. With the UK having a lot of rainfall, I like having a parasol that can double up as an umbrella and look cute with my coord. Besides, the parasol that I have is actually bigger than my normie umbrella, so it actually gives me better protection from rain. I probably didn't have to buy it brand new straight from brand, but I felt like I couldn't wait to find one second hand or a good enough offbrand substitute. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's completely right! If you get a good one it really couldn't be beaten, I just feel for a majority of people it's an optional extra, not a necessity. However, having said that if I wore lolita more often and/or living in a rainy-er country, you'd probably see me buying several waterproof parasols!

      Delete
  2. Also if you live in a very windy and sometimes rainy place, umberellas and parasols is not that practical at all, I have brooken umberellas in the past with very little wind and lots of rain. The only thing a parasol could help me with is to avoid sunburns in my face, but a strawhat and sunscreen is just so good.
    Last year it would been handy to have a parasol, but this year I barely seen the sun and this year is more common than extremely sunny years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is something I hadn't considered! I hate it when it's raining and umbrellas are useless...

      Delete