Pages

Tuesday 18 April 2017

Lolita 52: 5 inspirational fictional characters

To be honest, I’m not much of a one for “inspirational characters”. I don’t get inspired from fiction, really. I enjoy things, and do find certain qualities endearing or insightful in particular characters, but this is a surprisingly challenging question for me, especially when trying to answer in something of a lolita sense.

However, I can answer with these characters:

Adora Belle Dearheart (Terry Pratchett’s Discworld). She is severe, smart, well-put together and all in all a wonderful, vaguely intimidating, stylish woman. Hashtag goals.


Lirael (Garth Nix’s Old Kingdom). A shy, quiet, misfit of a bookworm (sound familiar? Except I’ve never really been quiet…) does what she must to make things right in the world. Also she has a Librarian’s waistcoat and a somewhat mysterious sword.

Sara Crewe (Frances Hodgson Burnett’s A Little Princess). The book, not the movie. Though this is a kids book, I love Sara’s determination to “be a princess” when a princess is someone who is good and brave and just regardless of what life throws at her.


Pamde Amidalla (Star Wars). Especially in the novelisations, where you get a little less Lucas and a little more depth than the movies, Padme is a powerhouse. And her outfits are some pretty amazing eye-candy.

Captain Janeway (Star Trek Voyager). Voyager is the only Star Trek series I’ve watched to completion, and I actually do admire Janeway something fierce. I also enjoy her change of hairstyle each season.


It may not read like it but I really struggled putting that list together. Like I say “inspirational” isn’t really a word I apply to characters. “Enjoyable”, certainly and they all are. “I found the overall message of this book/movie/show inspiring”, also yes. I feel like this list is wrong, incomplete, but also like it’s too long and also kind of fake.

I know that’s a bit of a downer to end a blog post, but regardless of the empirical goodness of my list, I hope it gives my readers a little insight into my taste in books, TV, and movies!

6 comments:

  1. Winnie the Pooh, I have the first novel, it was my absolut favorite as a child. Winnie is so filled with wisedom about people.
    Allan Karlson, despite being 100, he is surprisingly wellcapable at anything life throw against him. Whatever it is rockers or elephants...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winnie the Pooh is pretty awesome, I had one of the books as a kid too and loved it. I've never heard of Allan Karlson though?

      Delete
    2. Allan Karlson is from the book the 100 year old who crawled out the window and despaired, it is funny book.

      Delete
    3. Cool, I'll have to look it up!

      Delete
  2. I totally know what you mean with not really finding fictional characters inspirational, I feel the same. For similar reasons I also find it hard to think of books or films that Lolitas should watch. At the end of the day anything can be inspiring and Lolitas can consume any and all media they like, not everyone has to be inspired by the same kind of aesthetic or even admire the same qualities in characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! We're all people who have many interests, of which lolita is only one.

      Delete