Pages

Saturday 23 January 2016

Review #41: Angelic Pretty Twinkle Doll Special Set

I received my lavender Twinkle Doll set on 12 January (yes, I know this is a little late but I had other things I wanted to post first!) and to be entirely honest I am both impressed and disappointed by it. Impressed because it's a really wonderful set, quite high quality for the price, and I love it and disappointed because wow... that dress is so darn short!


Before I launch into the rest of the review I'll share my sizing information, I'd say the JSK and blouse both fit a maximum bust/waist of 95/78CM and the JSK length (excluding straps, which are adjustable) is 77cm. 77cm! I'm 168cm tall and it is almost a miniskirt on me, which really bummed me out because I was looking forward to having something sweet but simple. As it stands, for that reason alone, I'm think of selling off the whole set. Having this experience, on top of the time when I bought Loyal Rosette, is really reinforcing that Angelic Pretty and I probably aren't going to get along, except in the occasional special circumstance. Which is a bummer, but ah well.




But as I said, I am very impressed by the quality. The JSK has some tulle in the lining for volume and one of AP's famous pockets. The fabric and the construction in a few places is less high-quality than one would expect from a lolita brand but on the flipside, there are three different and very good laces on it. The hem lace in particular is soft and adorable and features cakes, probably because it's the same as was used on the Whip Factory special sets.



The blouse has that same lace on the collar and is rather nice, if basic. The headbow likewise is of good quality and a nice shape. The socks are super adorable and have a good amount of stretch to them - they fit my hearty calves and still go over-the-knee and though the pattern stretches out to fit it doesn't distort in a bad way.



Despite the shortness, I'm hanging onto this for a little while consider it. In the end I may keep the headbow and socks but sell the JSK and blouse. Or I may invest in a nice underskirt. Or something. I'm not too sure but I hope this review was helpful!

10 comments:

  1. Wow, 77cm is really short! I don't think I've ever owned a lolita dress that short. 85cm + a few cm of lace always seemed (to me) to be the standard for AP.
    The set does look lovely, though. The blouse is probably my favorite, precisely because it's so basic. I'll have to keep my eye out on the secondhand market!
    Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is excluding the straps (because they are adjustable) so the straps add another say 10-15cm depending on which buttonhole you have them on so it probably isn't really any shorter than your standard AP.

      Delete
  2. Love the dress, it's so cute!! ≧◡≦
    I'd say keep the dress and invest in an underskirt.

    APRISNOW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, but I've already lined up a buyer for the whole set. Ah well, such is the lolita life.

      Delete
  3. Measuring my tiny self I have noticed this dress will be a perfect length for me, espeically with the adjustable straps, it'll perfectly reach my knee caps ^^
    For once I get to celebrate my tinyness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you! It seems to be a fairly standard AP lucky pack length I think, so maybe you can score a special set this year ^__^

      Delete
    2. I've actually found this JSK for sale at a decent price, I'm sorry to ask you the questions, but everytime I search for information on the dress, it leads me back to here.
      If 77cm isn't counting the sleeves, do you know what the longest length is (with sleeves on the longest setting). I know you sold it but I'm unsure if you checked... ^^ It's because I'm 16 and want to wear this dress (I'm so set on it, I've fallen in love) and although I said I'm short enough, it does sit about 5cm above my knees, and I would prefer it to be a little longer...
      Sorry to bug haha, I wish there was more information on this dress in general</3

      Delete
    3. That's awesome and not a problem!

      To be honest I don't remember the including straps length properly, but I believe it was around 85cm?

      Yeah, it can be surprising hard to find information about specific brand releases, which I why I try and review pretty much everything I buy!

      Delete
  4. It's long on me and I'm not overly short, 5'3 so I don't understand where you are coming from lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To each their own, and I think I'm a bit leggy proportion-wise so that probably doesn't help!

      Delete