Pages

Monday 8 December 2014

A Complete Country Lolita Wardrobe for Under $500

It has been a very long time since I've done one of these, and this in particular has been sitting in my blogging folder for at least six months. But I wanted to take a little break from the wardrobe challenges, and some nice recent comments have made me want to re-start this series so I present to you a hypothetical country lolita wardrobe that you could purchase now for under $500, excluding shipping.


As always, this wardrobe does not feature jewellery and accessories or purses. Though jewellery is great, how much you wear is a personal choice and though matching bags are great, most of us have something that will do well enough and besides, I'm trying to do this on a budget! I'm also aiming for a wardrobe which can provide at least seven fairly distinct outfits, one for each day of the week.

Country lolita to me, is more of a theme or styling choice than an actual substyle, and to me this wardrobe toes the line between sweet and classic lolita. I chose to work with a three colour palette to give the wardrobe more depth and variety despite it's limited size.

This wardrobe contains the following items:

1 OP, 1 JSK and 1 Skirt:
One of each of the three main style of main piece, with one being plain and the other patterned in different ways is what I think is the best way to get good variety out of a small wardrobe. Here the Bodyline OP [$47] and JSK [$53] both feature different floral patterns, and the OP even comes with a detachable apron for extra cuteness! The old-school looking skirt [$45] from Anna House is the plain piece, and I think the old-school look works great with the country vibe.
1 Neutral Blouse with Detachable Sleeves:
This ivory Bodyline blouse [$47] comes with a detachable jabot, which really doesn't suit the country theme but it's detachable, so it's okay.
1 Contrasting Blouse or Cutsew:
For the contrasting blouse I went with a lovely chiffon Infanta blouse ["purchased" from Clobbaonline] in brown [$49] which provides both colour and texture difference.
2 Outerwear:
Normally I aim for a more structured piece and a more feminine one, and in this wardrobe the former is the white cardigan [$40] and the latter the pink bolero [$27], both from Bodyline.
2 Headpieces:
The boater hat [$10] from eBay is the quintessential country lolita headwear choice and I think the Bodyline floral headdress [$4] also suits the theme well.
2 Pairs of Shoes:
Ah shoes. How I do love shoes. Both from Bodyline I chose a brown pair and a pink pair [each $40] for variety.
5 Items of Legwear:
I followed my usual legwear "rules". Two tights; one plain [$5] and one patterned [$4], both from eBay. Three socks; ankle length from eBay [$3], with plain OTKs [$13] and patterned knee-highs [$7] both from Bodyline.
1 Petticoat:
I factor in a petticoat at an average price of $50, but haven't included it in the pictures, being underwear and all. You need one though!
Total Cost: $484
With the few dollars left of the $500 budget I'd look into another piece of headwear, probably a pink and white headbow. Or some white ankle socks. Either way ^__^

And now, seven different outfits using the above pieces! I have to say, the recent wardrobe challenge series has really sharpened my coording skills since the last $500 wardrobe I did. It was so easy to come up with seven outfits it almost felt like cheating!

A rather elegant outfit, perfect for a fancy picnic.

And this outfit makes me think of the maid serving tea at said picnic!

This one is a bit elegant, a bit cute.

A cosy outfit for an outdoors walk on a cold day.

Super-floral! I'd nix the apron for this one.

This is a fairly old-school outfit that I'd love to wear!

A very simple, very summery outfit to end on.

So there you have it, a new instalment in the $500 wardrobe series. I'm going to so a hime lolita themed one next, which will be interesting! I'm always up to do one of these if you have a particular style or even colour scheme you'd like me to try out... and I'll try to get it done quicker than this one was!

4 comments:

  1. I love country, and brown and pink. This is really cute, please post more of them, I like reading them even though my wardrobe's pretty established!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I enjoy doing them, so there will definitely be more in future ^__^

      Delete
  2. Hi! This is my third time trying to leave a comment here :D (it seems my computer really dislikes Google ID). Anyways! I'm here to say I absolutely love your blog. I'm a newbie lolita and I'm a fan of your "wardrobe under US$500" series, as well as your new "Wardrobe Challenges". I can't tell you how many times I've read your Steampunk Wardrobe post. Your guidelines are so helpful I used them to build my own wardrobe and choose which colors to buy and how to match them. I even made a image like yours with my pieces of clothing (1 op, 1 jsk, 1 skirt...) and budgeted everything. I'd love to send that image to you :) Not to ask for advice, but just so you can see how you inspire other people around the globe. Keep up the good work! You're great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you for leaving me such a nice comment, it really made me happy and I'm rally glad my posts have been helpful ^__^ I'd love to see you wardrobe picture, perhaps send it to me on my facebook page? https://www.facebook.com/CarolineRoliCherry

      Delete